The planning and install was undertaken by Advanced Communications Riverina with Stephen Hood as the lead contact. Their brief from the client was to update the existing system to achieve full site coverage, including long range Wi-Fi networks, monitor data usage, collect data plus set up a separate corporate network separate from both the visitor and guest networks.
This was a big project with the following sites planned to be updated – and all connecting – with one of the first sites being Sydney Academy in Narrabeen:
- Lake Ainsworth
- Myuna Bay
- Point Wolstoncroft
- Sydney Academy
- Sydney International Regatta Centre
- Sydney International Equestrian Centre
- Sydney International Shooting Centre
- Sport House
- Large size and long range Wi-Fi requirements of the sites; coverage numbers for Wi-Fi use ranged from 250 people per site through to over 1000 at some of the Olympic Venues.
- Foliage/trees limiting RF transmission
- Sarking (building felt fixed over the rafters of a roof underneath tiles of slate) was discovered wrapped around the walls in the building. This is normally just found underneath roof tiles but results in reflecting RF signal away from the buildings.
- Large concrete buildings with bunkers (shooting centre)
The Process and Solution
To manage this large project there were a number of steps needing to be done for each site with the first site being Sydney Academy of Sport in Narabeen. This site was used as the template for moving forward though there were specific challenges to each that needed to be addressed:
Basic steps undertaken for the project included:
- Full consult with the client to understand their networking requirements particularly how they wanted the corporate and guest visitor networks to run.
- On-site survey to determine potential challenges for the outdoor Wi-Fi, the best locations and the equipment needing to be used
- Off-site mapping to determine the best coverage area and planning for the challenges
- Careful integration and testing of VLANS on site.
- Design of public Wi-Fi splash pages for each site, ensuring terms & conditions of client were met.