Lake Elphinstone is a natural lake within Nebo Shire in the Mackay region of Queensland. Located about 90km west of coastal Mackay, Lake Elphinstone is a family friendly (free) camping site which is popular for fishing, boating, bird watching and even water skiing. It’s a lovely relaxing spot where you are not overrun by pesky midges and mosquitos and even better, no crocodiles!
The good news for all visitors was that mobile coverage was available – the bad news was that you could only access it if you stood in the right place, on your left leg, with the wind blowing in the right direction. Complaints from campers increased, and the lack of signal was deemed a health and safety issue so the ISAAC Regional Council contacted telecommunications expert TAA Connect to come up with a solution.
- The site was a long way from mobile coverage and the signal that was being received was minimal and intermittent when it was available.
- 3G coverage only was available
- Lack of suitable site with power to operate the solution.
The Cel-Fi GO stationary model is the strongest repeater on the market. With up to 100dB of gain, it was the best solution and the only legal retail option to boost the signal at the campground.
TAA Connect initially set up the solar powered solution to power and house the Cel-Fi GO securely in the shower/amenities block at the site. Where it is too expensive or too remote to connect to mains power, installing a solar powered energy system can be an economical solution – particularly in rural and regional communities.
The Blackhawk Yagi antenna was utilised as one of the highest gain on the market covering 3G bandwidths only.
- Cel-Fi GO for Telstra Stationary Model 3G 850 /4G 700/1800Mhz (boosting a single band at a time)
- Blackhawk Yagi 698 – 960 MHz 15dBi Antenna
- Solar Pack 3 12/24V 200W 105ah sourced from Powertec Telecommunications (https://www.powertec.com.au/solar-pack-3-off-the-grid-power-solutions) included the following items
- 1 x 24V 200W PV Panel (Enerdrive)
- 1 x Side of pole mount
- 1 x 600mm x 400mm x 250mm Cabinet
- 1 x 12/24VDC 15A MPPT (Victron Energy)
- 1 x 12VDC 105Ah deep cycle battery (Sentry)
- 1 x 5m figure 8 12VDC cable
- 2 x DIN rail
After install of the solution, Lake Elphinstone campsite now received a permanent mobile signal around the toilet block. The GO can amplify the mobile signal over a 900m2 coverage area (and further) depending on the barriers the coverage signal needs to penetrate.
From receiving minimal to no mobile coverage signal, the solution provided boost for the campers to now utilise their phones and even data.
Contact us today to help with your Communication Problems
This Cel-Fi GO solar installation was undertaken by Peter Jones of TAA Connect, a communications expert operating in the larger Brisbane area. For a referral to a local expert on mobile and wi-fi solutions in your area, please contact us via phone on 07 5577 0500 or email [email protected].
Note: Cel-Fi GO is a state of the art, very complex “Smart Repeater” and is approved by Telstra if installed correctly. It is guaranteed to provide massive signal enhancement in poor reception areas, however incorrect installation may significantly reduce performance. Installation of a Cel-Fi GO is best done by a qualified installer. Only qualified Powertec Telecommunication Resellers who have undertaken product training on the required precautions should perform installation of the Cel-Fi GO.