Telegram Co. is a niche lifestyle business owned by the Dymocks booksellers chain in Australia. They specialise in high end stationary including pens, inks, specialist letter writing papers, and accessories across a range of over 10,000 products. They are different from other distributors as they promote partners and sell partner brands to gift, lifestyle and homeware stores.
Telegram Co. and 30 of their 45 staff recently moved into a brand new warehouse space based in West Footscray, Melbourne. At the same time the administrative team of 15 (including 5 dogs) moved into a new Office site in Collingwood.
Both new premises was wired ready to set up state of the art point of sale, scanners, stock management, and dispatch software for the company, but they needed an expert to plan their wireless solution to enable smart automation plus connect the two office environments for efficient operations.
With the move to a new 10,000 square meter, 3 storey high warehouse, the business required an expert to review the site for the best Wi-Fi options. The company wanted 3 separate networks with differing data uses within each network. Telegram Co. contacted 3 competing Wi-Fi brands one of which one was Simon Moore, Principal of Fine Tune Communications who works with the Altai SuperWifi brand.
As part of the tender process Simon reviewed the warehouse and admin office floor plans off site to come up with an initial indication of product requirement. He then visited the sites to confirm with the client the coverage they required, check the construct of the buildings, and measure the RF signals in the area.
Warehouses are typically hostile environments in RF terms and they need careful review and planning to ensure even and full Wi-Fi signal coverage. There often have high ceilings as was the case with this site, reflective metal racking, and the RF signal is constantly changing with racks filling and emptying, forklifts moving within the area, and large paper pallets in stock blocking signal.
Fine Tune Communications won the Telegram Co. warehouse Wi-Fi install job for a number of reasons:
- Fine Tune provided a 30 day money back guarantee to the client
- Their ability to provide a solution supported locally by experts with back-up from the Australian distributor Powertec Telecommunications.
- The final quote was the most cost effective for the client at around 50% less than quoted by other suppliers.
- The ongoing cost of managing the access points was substantially less than the competitors.
- Altai WiFi networks have unprecedented performance, reliability, scalability and manageability.
1) 16 x A3c 3×3 Indoor Ceiling Access Points configured to AltaiCare, 2.4/5GHz were mounted at strategic positions on the 3 story high ceiling of the warehouse.
2) 4 x A3c Indoor Access Points configured to AltaiCare were also installed into their administration office situated in Collingwood Administration office. The Collingwood offices have over 25 devices connecting to the Altai network which includes all their BYO devices.
The A3c Access Point install enables staff to move between the warehouse and the admin office seamlessly using the one sign-on. Both these sites communicate with the cloud based warehousing and administration software. From the Admin office they run their CRM system for order entry with the packing slips printed out at the warehouse.
The Altai A3c Access Point is designed to provide the highest speed 2.4 and 5 GHz dual-band dual-concurrent access coverage for indoor areas.
The A3c has both a 2.4 GHz (3×3:3 802.11b/g/n) radio and a high capacity 5 GHz (3×3:3 802.11a/n/ac) radio which can be operated at the same time for 2.4 and 5 GHz dual-band dual-concurrent access coverage. The dual-band operation not only provides the highest capacity up to 1.75 Gbps but also performs better in the less interfered 5 GHz frequency band. The ceiling-mounted design of A3c can be installed exactly on the ceiling where the capacity is required.
• High capacity 1.3 Gbps in 5 GHz and 450 Mbps in 2.4 GHz
• Built-in 2.4 and 5 GHz 3×3 MIMO spatial polarized antennas
• Ceiling-mounted omni coverage
• 3×3 MIMO in 3 streams for both 2.4GHz (802.11b/g/n) and 5GHz (802.11a/n/ac) radios
• Carrier grade 802.11a/b/g/n/ac AP for indoor applications
• AltaiCare cloud-based zero configuration and secured AP management
• Multi-operating modes allowed: AP, bridge, repeater mode or CPE
• 802.3at and 802.2af compliant PoE
3) AltaiCare Cloud-based network management system, designed for simplicity and ease of managing client WiFi networks.
In addition to network management, AltaiCare supports an innovative, controller-less, cloud-based architecture for the access management of APs, providing secure admission and service control across a WiFi network. It supports full-suite of 802.1x based authentications and captive portal for secure web authentication.
• Zero configuration allows a non-technical person to simply unpack and plug APs to WiFi network; the APs will automatically get configuration and firmware from AltaiCare
• Owing to AltaiCare’s local breakout architecture and CAPWAP protocol, management data that goes to the cloud is securely encrypted in SSL, while data and control traffic stays local
• Allows IT managers of enterprises to quickly set up secure access for their internal network, as well as provide hotspots to accommodate guest access
• Pay-as-you-grow subscription model of AltaiCare results in lower OPEX
• AltaiCare’s location-aware advertising services enables additional revenue from advertising
The end result was highly successful warehouse-wide wireless communications, with RF signal unimpeded in any area of the business.
Simon from Fine Tune Solutions handed the AltaiCare solution to the customer – along with documentation and support available. The client wanted to monitor their own wireless network which is possible with the online cloud network system.
Fine Tune still remain as support with alerts emailed to them should a problem occur.
“When you don’t hear anything from the customer, it means they are happy.” said Simon Moore, Principal of Fine Tune Communications P/L. “Configuration and set-up was very easy with Altai Access Points. I wanted to be on site for the client as they’d had problems previously with other Wi-Fi branded products, but in reality I could have configured the products online and just handed them over to my install team without even going on site.”
Contact Us Today about your own Hostile Indoor Warehouse WiFi Options
For more information on mobile and wi-fi solutions throughout the Victoria area, please contact Simon Moore at Fine Tune Communications Pty Ltd on 0418 335593 or email on [email protected].
Powertec have access to a number of installers across Australia who specialise in planning and installation in hostile environments like warehouses. For a referral to a local expert on mobile and Wi-Fi solutions in your area, please contact us at Powertec on 07 5577 0500 or [email protected][contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]